The “U” visa status is a nonimmigrant classification for victims of certain crimes who are willing to assist government officials in the investigation of the criminal activity.

"U" types of nonimmigrant visa holders may apply for "adjustment of status" (for "green card") AFTER at least THREE years of continuous presence in the United States since the date of admission and must be in valid nonimmigrant status at the time of application.

Unlike the other similar visa type of “T” holders, there is NO annual numeric quota for adjustment of status by "U" status holders and there is no numerical cap on adjustment of status for “U” nonimmigrants.

There are 4 different sub-categories:

U-1 visa: principal alien victim of certain criminal activity;

U-2 visa: Spouse of U-1;

U-3 visa: Children of U-1; and,

U-4 visa: Parent of U1, if U-1 is under 21 years of age.

If you have any questions regarding "U"visa, please provide us the detailed information regarding your situation.  If you have a pending case with a receipt number please also provide it.  If you have a challenge from the USCIS either in form of a "Request for Evidence" (RFE) or "Intent to Deny" (ITD) or "Intent to Revoke" (ITR), please provide us either a copy of that challenge through email or fax (972-994-0088) so that we have a better understanding of the problems at issue.

You can email your inquiry to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. via fax to: 972-994-0088, and one of our experienced immigration attorneys will respond to your inquiries personally and promptly, usually within 24 hours, if not sooner.  Thank you.

Yu, South & Associates, Where YOU Matter the Most.